Hi friends and Share the Joy community!
Welcome back, I’m hosting this week and I hope you’ll link up tonnes of posts old and new, I want to read them all!
I made quite a monumental decision the other day I wanted to let you in on. I had gotten into quite a negative spiral about some things about blogging and business building. And I realised something, I haven’t enjoyed blogging for quite a long time.
What started as a cathartic, creative release from the mundane of being at home with the children 24/7 back in August 2013 (knee deep in nappies at the time) sparked my natural ambition. Other people were monetising their blogs successfully so why not me?
The problem came when I niched down to a Somerset focus which is 100% the direction I want to take this blog. That has not changed one bit (my love of Somerset runs deep as you know!) However let’s just say that Somerset indie/artisan, local biz isn’t necessarily ready to pay the invoices that bigger brands can afford. The process of knowing that has been quite a journey in itself. So lots of awkward email exchanges later… I have decided to un-monetise my blog and concentrate of being the authority in Somerset.
Some of my many reasons and realisations:
- I’m not a natural business woman and that’s ok, I’m not prepared to make the sacrifices which include time away from the children while they’re still so young and settling into school.
- Staying up into the small hours hustling to reach my ‘goals’ has massive knock on effects on my family and my mental health.
- It’s ok, not every interest and goal needs to be a revenue. At least not to start with.
- Charging a fee to local brands was robbing me of joy and turning off my ideal clients of small local artisan/indie producers and creators, which then means 0 content that I’m happy with.
- Even though I believe I have a God given gift to write, I don’t always WANT to write or indeed have anything to write about. Forcing the issue meant I was stressed out and the joy definitely went out of it for me.
- Forcing my family to events that held no interest for them (I love them btw) which ended up in stress all round, just to get some pictures for a blog post. No fun for anybody, trust me.
- I was paying to attend these events; fuel, my time, ticket price, lunch, a blog post and promotion etc and not earning anything. In regards to business sense, it wasn’t working.
So, after all of these realisations I knew I had a decision to make. Do I quit the blog or recommit?
I did the ‘when to commit, when to quit’ test (I have a deep love for Marie Forleo Q&A Tuesday) would I regret putting it all down in 10 years time?
The blog I would absolutely regret putting down, I love my blog and how far I’ve come, I love the community and I love writing. The blog HAD to stay. The business though? No I wouldn’t regret putting that part down for now. So the answer was clear.
I’ll still attend events, but the ones I WANT to go to and that fit with my values and the direction I want to take this blog. I won’t be asking for my travel expenses to be covered and I won’t be charging for blog posts or side bar ads. I will write about brands I love because I love them. I’ll go to events because I want to go to them and pay for them myself and write about them if I want to (and feel you guys would be interested in it). Full disclaimer, I will not have been paid to write them.
I may be given tickets to an event or gifted a product for review purposes but that’s as far as ‘payment’ will go.
I feel so much peace about this decision. Now I’m free to showcase all of the best places to go, things to see and products/producers I KNOW you will want to know about.
Have you had any A-HA moments recently? I’d love to hear them.
Right, on to the link up!
What you need to know…there’ll be a Share the Joy post each week with a link guiding you seamlessly to the link up and I promise it’ll be just as easy as it’s always been. You know our motto? Joy is always better when it’s shared? I can’t say it better than that.
LAST WEEK I LOVED: ADVENTURES IN WESELAND: VISITING SAN FRANCISO BOTANICAL GARDENS
Thank you so much for linking every week Patrick!
Share the Joy is the happiness-focused linky. Bloggers, writers, artists, poets, if creating something made you laugh out loud, opened your heart, raised your spirits or just made you smile – you’re welcome here.
Link up and share your creations with a wider audience. All genres are welcome – new or old favourites and as many links as you like.
In the meantime link up your joy filled posts BELOW!
Feel free to invite your friends to join in – JOY is always better when it’s shared!
Have a great week and don’t forget to comment abundantly friends!