‘Owning it’ I’ve been thinking about this phrase a lot recently.
I read this post by Elise at Cheers Y’all & it really spoke to me & I keep hearing the phrase everywhere I go ever since. It really got me thinking about the good things I take on, but also the not so good but try to ignore. Don’t we all do that!
I think the practice of ‘owning it’ sits with mindfulness really well. Part of being mindful is not fighting negative thoughts. It’s about letting thoughts come & go without guilt & without holding on to them. It’s also about being honest to yourself!
Here are the things I’m ‘owning’ right now, the good, the bad & the ugly!
– I always want to feel like I’m moving forwards. Feeling like I’m going backwards or even standing still for a time makes me impatient & anxious, having small children means this can be really frustrating & in that I sometimes miss the point & struggle to ‘stay in the moment’ with this way of thinking! Owning it
– I have an issue with perfectionism, I’m working on every single day. Owning it
– I have KISS FM on during the day to make me feel like I’m still young! Fave song at the mo? Taylor Swift Shake it Off. Love that music. Owning it
– I rarely listen to old music, if older songs come on the radio I turn the channel! (are we moving forwards playing old music? I don’t think so lol) Owning it
– I love really, really old hymns ( I know the irony is not lost on me). ‘Amazing Grace’, ‘How Great Thou Art’ & ‘Be Thou my Vision’ are favourites & link me with my faith heritage! Owning it
– I’d like to say I LOVE exercise but I find it really hard to muster up the motivation to get to the gym. When I get there I love it but I have to try really hard to not let the couch & tv win! Owning it
– I think it’s a really hard to balance having loads of friends & still leave room for new people. I find it quite hard to get to know new people but I’m working on it. Owning it
– I can be a bit of a loner at times & prefer to go shopping on my own. Owning it
– I’d rather spend time with my husband than anybody else in the world. Owning it
– I tell people my favourite film is the Shawshank Redemption when it’s actually a toss up between Baby Boom with Diane Keaton, The Secret of My Success with Michael J Fox & Legally Blonde with Reese Witherspoon! ROMCOM MUCH! Owning it
– I think new films are too long! Bring back 90 minute movies……. please!!!!!!! Owning it.
– I hate crowds. Owning it
– I’m sensitive to noise. Owning it
– I love eating out & don’t do it enough (crowds/noise) Owning it
– Having a family has changed my life so much for the better….. but
– My hips still hurt almost 2 years after having my last baby…
– my confidence has taken a bashing…
– & anxiety is higher than ever before… Owning it (& working on it)
– The people/celebrities I admire really know who they are & reiterate that over & over again, I’m working on being more like those people. Owning it
– I’d love to read more books but will always choose sleep over reading! Owning it
– I’d love to invite more people over to my house, but I’m working on rejection issues (just call me Chandler Bing)! I’ll get back to you on that one, it’s a work in progress! Owning it
– My biggest bug bears are: people who park in parent spaces at the supermarket with teenage kids or worse, no kids at all, MAN I get so angry about it! Being English though means I won’t say anything, so I just inwardly seeth instead, helpful!!! Owning it
– I also dislike long toe nails, bad hygiene & people who bash into you at the supermarket. I have a lot of issues about supermarkets, possibly because of the crowds, but hey that’s why I get my shopping delivered! Owning it
– I’m at my happiest when I’m surrounded by people I love, preferably with a freshly baked bread smell & an open fire. Owning it
This is not definitive list I’m sure I could go on & on, but you get the idea. By accepting yourself how you are, flaws & all, you can be inside your story instead of fighting against it.
I’ve found I’m a lot more relaxed about things & able to admit to others how I feel & that’s helped me loads, it might help you too!
Do you ‘own it’ or hide it like I used to?
Until the next time friends, have a great day!