I’ve been wanting to write this post for some time as I think those without really young children just don’t know or have maybe forgotten (Mum?!) how tricky & logistically exhausting getting ‘out of the door’ is. Add in actually needing to be somewhere at a particular time, & well meltdowns have been known.
So I thought I’d write a list to demonstrate just how hard it is to leave with both children neat, tidy (with teeth brushed), bags packed & of course let’s not forget I need everything organised for myself aswell!
So here is a typical list of things to do before leaving the house:
– Get up
– Have a cup of tea & a digestive biscuit (mandatory)
– Change SB nappy
– Get SB dressed
– Get SH dressed
– Get in the shower
– Dry hair/make up/straighten hair
– Get self dressed
– Brush teeth
– Pack bags (to include snacks, drink, change of clothes, nappies & wipes (+just add purse & phone for mama)).
– Put on shoes
– Grab keys
– Leave house
Here is where I insert insane laughter. Because it sounds so simple!
– Wake up to SH either a. already in SB’s room, b. under our bed, c. downstairs terrorising the cat
– Have a cup of tea & a digestive biscuit (mandatory & solely sponsored by husband & without which one can’t possibly face the day).
– Catch SB/get her down from windowsill, Change SB nappy (husband)
– Catch SB/ pin her down Get SB dressed (husband)
– Run around after SH who is shouting ‘I need a weeeee’ Get SH dressed (me)
– Get in the shower (peace interspersed with some kind of noise from downstairs).
– Dry hair/make up/straighten hair (in 15 minutes flat, my hair is now straight but frizzy!).
– Choose outfit, realise what you need is in the ironing pile, grab anything get self dressed
– Breakfast (husband) because why eat together can you can have 15 minutes by yourself! Genius.
– Brush teeth while children spit toothpaste spittle down their newly put on clothes & bite the toothbrush so it can’t move. Yes we will learn one day to do teeth FIRST!
– Pack bags ; to include snacks, drink, change of clothes, nappies & wipes (+just add purse & phone for mama)). nb.
– Catch each child, hunt round the house for ONE SHOE! Put on shoes
– Hunt for keys, you were sure you put them back in the drawer! Find keys on the bookcase.
– Realise the kids have taken off their shoes, hunt for shoes again.
– Leave house & strap children in car (after a driveway runaround).
– Go back for bags because SB is so heavy you can no longer carry both her & bags.
– Go back into the house again because you’ve forgotten PHONE/PURSE/DRINK/DUMMY/SUNHAT/SUNCREAM/REINS/WOOLY HAT/WELLIES/LIPBALM/DRIVING GLASSES/TESCO VOUCHER/THE OTHER SHOE delete as appropriate & depending on time of year.*
Please note I always forget to brush their hair, it’s so low on priorities it doesn’t even make The List.
nb this is much less than I used to pack when the children were really small! Bless you Mama’s with babies.
*we are now late for preschool, as always.